A talk I did on plain text at my school's Linux User's Group, or LUG, including a demo, a calculator for emojis! It is highly inspired by Dylan Beattie's talk Plain Text.
- The first telegraph ignored 6 letters
- ASCII's origin in teleprinters shows up a lot
- Codepage 878 pursues an interesting solution to codepage incompatibility
- There are some normal ways and some very goofy ways to compare strings
- You can propose additions to unicode for free!
- The Nintendo Switch uses a uncommon feature of unicode to render its UIs
- Emojis, as shown in the demo above, are more advanced than you thought
- Some well chosen unicode characters can wreck havoc where you don't expect
A download link is at the top for ODP.