Created Friday, Sep 16, 2022
A talk I did on software licenses at my school's Linux User's Group, or LUG.
- Unlicensed software is not just murky, it's illegal
- AGPL is used by over 1% of projects (read the talk to learn why this is bad!)
- If a maintainer sends malware to you through their package... you can't sue them!
- Under a certain license it is illegal to use that software while alive...
- Some projects, notably Perl, continue to use a license that predates even GPL
- Some projects knowingly breach licenses... who's gonna sue em!
- Spigot uses Bukkit off of a technicality
Download links are at the top for both PDF and ODP.